Thursday, July 3, 2008

CNBC is Strange

I was thinking last week about whether the anchors/talent on CNBC consider themselves to be reporters or analysts. CNBC's web site call them "Anchors & Reporters". This morning Michelle Caruso-Cabrera and Euro-talker Ross Westgate (who is pretty sharp imo) are actually arguing over whether the ECB should hike rates and why. There is no guest on. They are just arguing.

I guess it's obvious that I think that they think they're analysts. I agree that they spend a lot of time thinking about the markets. My main problem is that most of what they learn about the market they get from made-for-TV packaged commentary.

By the way, I'm not ignoring what happened in the market yesterday. It was ugly. Commodities got slaughtered. Financials hung in for some reason. Asia goes down every day. Oil is going to $150. I'm trying to figure it out.

No comments: