Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Waxing Poetic

I just clicked through to a site call The Positivity Blog and was reading an entry entitled "16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me in School".

Rule # 4 is "First, give value. Then, get value. Not the other way around."

I stopped reading after this one.

It goes on to say "If you want to increase the value you receive (money, love, kindness, opportunities etc.) you have to increase the value you give. Because over time you pretty much get what you give."

I could talk about the youth of today but don't need to. As a father of 3 kids, a big concern of mine is that my kids don't/won't get this point. Kids are used to having things given to them. It's structurally impossible for that not to be the case. At what point, even if they're not spoiled, do they figure out that giving, offering, helping is a good thing?

No comments: