Saturday, September 13, 2008

I Just Got Schooled By WSJ

I was reading the Wall Street Journal online today, which I'm sure all losers do on Saturday afternoons.

I read the following and kind of laughed to myself:

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York held an emergency meeting Friday night with top Wall Street executives to discuss the future of venerable firm Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and the parlous state of U.S. financial markets.
I thought the word "parlous" was a typo, used instead of "perilous", and got through the weekend editors somehow. Not being perfect, I looked it up to make sure.
par·lous
Pronunciation: \ˈpär-ləs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, alteration of perilous
Date: 14th century
Definition: full of danger or risk : hazardous
Oops. My bad.
So far I haven't technically made a Lehman Brothers post today.

No comments: