Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dare I Say It?

What do you say we tackle two of the timely and weighty issues of the day?

Oil at $145/barrel or over $4/gallon scared the living daylights out of U.S. consumers, politicians and Boone Pickens. The U.S. only produces 24% of the oil that it consumes. Of the other 76%, more than a little is imported from countries who aren't exactly in love with us.

President elect Obama is bound and determined to install some sort of health care system that promises "affordable, accessible health care for all Americans."

I have an idea that moves advances both issues in one fell swoop.
Merge with Canada.

Canada supplies over 10% of U.S. oil consumption. Merging with Canada would raise to over one third the percentage of demand that we can fulfill ourselves, with an option on finding more in the vast wilderness that is Northern Canada.

Canada has been a friendly neighbor for decades.

Canada has socialized health care. The U.S. could roll out the Canadian system nationwide in no time at all.

You can thank me later.

No comments: