Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Stuff


It's the last trading day of the month. The S&P 500 is down 6% YTD, which is about right in my humble opinion. More on that later.

It might be me, or it might be the pine trees in the background, but all of these white guys being interviewed in Davos seem even more self-satisfied than ever. I guess I should exclude the PM of Turkey, who blew a gasket at a Gaza debate yesterday.

Amazon reported last night and continued its shocking run of good execution. If I had told you in 2000 that AMZN would be better positioned than Yahoo and execute better over the next 10 years you probably would have laughed at me. I wouldn't have said that, though, since I didn't see this coming.

Chevron and Exxon report today. Should be wacky. Volatile oil prices and currencies, hedging by customers, still too many speculators. I still think oil will spend more time below $40 than above over the next six months, but I wouldn't touch an oil-related security with a 10 foot pole today.



Maybe when you die, you come before a big, bearded man on a big throne, and you say, “Is this heaven?” And he says, “Heaven? You just came from there.”

Kirk Douglas

No comments: