Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Grandma

Being 43, I guess I'm about average in that I only have one grandparent left, my grandmother on my dad's side. She's around ninety and still very sharp. She would hate to hear me say that since anything else would be unthinkable for the tough old gal.

She called yesterday to say hi and tell us that she finally got our Christmas card. It took 6 weeks to go 790 miles.

I was asking about her health and she went into the subject of death and how she's ready. She has been fighting macular degeneration and can't read any more, one of her great loves. Her town is buried in about 4 feet of snow. She lives in an old age home and both of her kids go south for the winter, so it gets quite boring at times. On living in an old age home, she summed it up by saying, "The food is good but there's nothing to do."

No comments: