Thursday, March 12, 2009

Outliers





One of the books I’m currently reading is Malcolm Gladwell’s latest, Outliers. I have mixed feelings about reading contemporary works by “thought leaders” but I usually do, and Gladwell makes some good points. This one is about why some people are really different or exceptional, not just that there are such people and yada yada about what they have accomplished. It's interesting to me at least that I used to think of the term outlier as more likely referring to an event, not a person.

The largest holding in my wife’s IRA Rollover is T. Rowe Price Midcap Growth Fund, which has been a wonderful performer for years. Yesterday she got the annual report in the mail and she was actually reading it. A 42 year old Central New Jersey homemaker and gym rat with a liberal arts education and a marketing background reading a mutual fund report – now there’s an outlier.

No comments: