Thursday, September 11, 2008

Not a Happy Anniversary

On September 11, 2001, I woke up in the Palace Hotel in San Francisco. I was out there for the Lehman Semiconductor Conference.

When I woke up the TV was playing some action movie. I switched to CNBC and saw the same scenes. Not an action movie. 9/11. I quickly showered and went down to the conference where everyone was standing around in awe.

I was stuck in San Francisco longer than the airports were closed because my company's phone system was down and I didn't know it. Some conference attendees a actually rented cars and drove back to the East Coast. Lehman rented buses for some of the others. The events of the day gave everyone a lot to think about.

The efforts to make us safer may be helping. Some subset of Americans trust foreigners far less than before. Everything is different.

Cheers to those no longer with us.

No comments: